Context has been helping leading companies report their social and environmental impacts since 1997. Our team has worked on over 200 reports and many of our clients are award winners.
Why use us?
A credible and candid report provides valuable information for stakeholders both inside and outside the company. When it is done well, reporting also helps companies determine priorities, create internal consensus and improve performance.
But reporting is tough – much harder than most new reporters expect. As a result, many reports fall short. Credibility requires clear and objective writing as well as a good understanding of the subjects. This can be difficult for in-house teams and non-specialist writers.
Context consultants work closely with you to overcome the obstacles and to establish a process that suits your needs.
How we can help
Our team has unrivalled experience in helping clients develop and write print and electronic reports. We also help to gather feedback on reports through opinion leader surveys and focus groups (see External engagement) and create engaging communications for specific audiences (see Sustainability communications).
Our reporting service:
- Benchmarking – how do you compare? We use our own proven methodology to help clients assess their governance, communications and performance with other leading companies.
- Advice on reporting standards – we offer an objective view on current reporting standards and guidelines.
- Understanding and targeting the audiences – communications work best when the audiences are clearly understood. We highlight the main targets.
- Advice on formats – we help clients decide on the right mix of print, pdf and html.
- Planning – the report needs to cover the most significant (material) sustainability issues for the business, in the right way for the audience. We do this, with the help of stakeholders where appropriate.
- Writing – we gather material from your experts and turn it into simple, jargon-free language. We challenge clients (politely) to be as open, honest and clear as possible.
- Guidance on assurance – what content to assure, which assurer to choose, and how to get value for money.
- Promoting the report – too many sustainability reports aren’t read. We help clients promote their reports, including the use of our Global CS Who's Who, a hand-picked list of over 1,300 sustainability leaders world-wide.
Working with BT
BT is a recognised leader in sustainability reporting and a multi award winner. We have helped the company with its reporting since 2004.
Better Future is BT’s short printed review. It puts the company’s most important (material) social and environmental issues into the context of its business strategy and the fast-changing information communications technology industry. The report includes comments from senior employees on key issues, as well as perspectives on BT’s progress from external stakeholders.
We helped BT develop a concept for the review that reflects its strategy, and we wrote and edited the copy. We also helped plan and write BT’s comprehensive online sustainability report, which addresses the company’s broader issues and provides detailed performance data.
In 2010, we conducted a detailed review of reporting among BT’s peers and recognised leaders in other sectors to ensure BT’s report continued to reflect best practice. We incorporated key findings into the company’s 2011 report.
BT is one of the world's leading providers of communications solutions, serving customers in 170 countries. Its principal activities include networked IT services, local, national and international telecommunications services, and higher-value broadband and internet products and services.
British Gas owner Centrica is embracing the central role the energy sector can play in creating a low carbon world. At the same time, the company needs to maintain secure and affordable energy supplies for more than 16 million UK and North American customers.
Context has worked with Centrica since 2009 when we facilitated a strategy workshop for the Group CR team.
Since then, we have helped the company plan and write its online CR report, navigating the complex sustainability issues it faces. The report demonstrates the significant progress Centrica is making to support the transition to a lower carbon future by enabling customers and communities to tackle their carbon footprints and working to reduce its own. It makes full use of the capabilities of the web with interactive tools, a data centre and a strong emphasis on dialogue.
To help Centrica gain feedback on its CR strategy and reporting, Context held two UK focus groups and conducted a series of telephone interviews with stakeholders in the company’s diverse North American markets. We have also contributed to sustainability messaging in Centrica’s Annual Report.
Improving transparency at Motorola
Context has worked with Motorola, the wireless and broadband communications provider, since 2006. We have helped the company increase transparency and move further towards reporting best practice.
Motorola’s 2008 report addresses the key issues for the electronics sector and provides a comprehensive account of the company’s performance. Supply chain issues are covered in-depth and individual supplier audit scores are disclosed.